"Description begins in the writer's imagination, but should finish in the readers."
At Bowness, we wish to energise and inspire our children to transform their writing and spelling skills. Using ‘Read to Write’, we deliver an informed and evidenced-based system to support our children, providing structures for success. We want our children to develop a love of writing to be able to express their thoughts and ideas, clearly and creatively through writing. Children are supported to gain confidence in using the essential skills of grammar, punctuation and spelling.
At Bowness Primary School, in conjunction with the aims of the National Curriculum, our English key concepts and ideas are:
- English will teach pupils to speak and write fluently so that they can communicate their ideas and emotions to others and through their reading and listening, others can communicate with them.
- Through reading in particular, pupils have a chance to develop culturally, emotionally, intellectually, socially and spiritually.
- Pupils will develop skills of language that are essential to participating fully as a member of society.
- English enables pupils both to acquire knowledge and to build on what they already know.
- The ability to write fluently and with interesting detail on a number of topics throughout the curriculum.
- A vivid imagination which makes readers engage with and enjoy their writing.
- A highly developed vocabulary and an excellent knowledge of writing techniques to extend details or description.
- Well-organised and structured writing, which includes a variety of sentence structures.
- Excellent transcription skills that ensure their writing is well presented and punctuated, spelled correctly and neat.
- A love of writing and an appreciation of its educational, cultural and entertainment values.
Pupils develop an understanding of how subjects and specific skills are linked to future jobs.
Here are some of the jobs you could aspire to do in the future as a Reader and Writer:
- Publicity Assistant
- Stage Director
- Song Writer
- Entertainment Manager
- Social Media Consultant