Free School Meals
There are two free school meal schemes:
- Income related free school meals
- Universal free school meals
Income Related Free School Meals
Income related free school meals can be given to your child in any year at school.
This includes nursery children if they attend before and after lunch at a local authority nursery school or nursery class.
If you get any of the benefits below, you can claim free school meals.
- Income Support
- Jobseeker's Allowance Income based
- Employment Support Allowance Income related
- Support under the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- Guaranteed Pension Credit
- Child Tax Credit - as long as your letter shows you have an income of less than £16,190 and do not get Working Tax Credit
- Universal Credit - your earned income must be less than £7,400 a year
If you are receiving support under the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999 you must contact Achievement Cohesion and Integration Service (ACIS).
Applying for free school meals
- if you already receive housing benefit or council tax support, your income related free school meals will be given automatically and you don’t need to apply
- if you have already applied for help with school uniforms, we will look at the free school meals at the same time and you don’t need to apply separately
- if you don't receive housing benefit or council tax support, you need to apply for free school meals
When your child gets free school meals, your school will also benefit with additional funding to use in the school.
Universal Free School Meals
Every child in reception, year one and year two can get a universal free school meal.
You do not need to apply for this - the school office can give you a form to complete.